Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Trove Tuesday - More than just newspapers

Remembering the talk given at the NSW State Conference in Canberra last year by Martin Woods, the Curator of Maps from  The National Library of Australia, I thought I'd see what maps I could find on Trove for some of the country towns in which my ancestors lived. In framing my search I selected Maps from the menu and then ticked Online and Australian Content.


I didn't find anything of interest in my searches for Cobar and Canowindra but I struck gold with a search for Dungog the town where my grandmother, Mary Tierney, was born. I found two mapas of the town available online, one from 1928 and one from 1866.


On both of these maps I found the land on which the family lived on the corner of Mackay and Windeyer Streets marked with the name of my great-great-grandfather, Denis Tierney. Althougth I had other evidence to show that the property belonged to the family these maps provide another source for that fact. Although Denis died in 1894 the property is still labelled as belonging to him in 1928. Having read Denis' will and noting that probate wasn't granted until 1932 I know this is correct.

I checked the copyright status of these maps on their records in the Trove Catalogue. As they may be subject to copyright I have not pasted images of the maps into this post but I will certainly reference them in my family history database. My rule for copying images is "When in doubt don't".

When I checked the copyright status for these maps this is the message I got
We sometimes forget that the Treasure in Trove extends beyond its newspaper collection. 

1 comment:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Thanks for the reminder Jill. I've used maps there but too often forget it as an option,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...