Saturday, August 15, 2015

Dancing in the Streets

When my elder son phoned this morning he asked if I had scanned a particular photo in our family collection. I told him this was in the "to do" collection and asked why he wanted to know.

He responded that he thought it would be appropriate for a blog post today.  Any geneaparent would understand how thrilled I was to have an offspring call with a blogging suggestion. Said son knew I was preparing for a weekend away and suggested that if I could find the photo I could scan it and write a blog post on my phone while travelling to my destination so that is what I am doing. 

Today, 15th August is the 70th anniversary of what we in Australia call VP or Victory in the Pacific Day.

In August 1945 my mother was a 22 year old telephoniste who with her sister worked at Sydney's General Post Office in Martin Place. She recalls that when the end of the war was announced most people left their workplaces and joined an impromptu party in Martin Place.

The photo my son enquired about features my mother and others celebrating and dancing in Martin Place. Mum is the young lady on the right in the classy two tone shoes. I don't have a source but know it was published in a Sydney newspaper or magazine at the time..


 
Thank you, Jonathon  for your blogging suggestion. I am thrilled that you and your siblings appreciate our family stories.

10 comments:

Lizzie said...

Great post! I know where a I got my taste for nice shoes ;)

GeniAus said...

Must be in the genes.

GeniAus said...

Must be in the genes.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Love the family involvement! I'm so pleased you shared this great photo with us...important historically and for the family. Also nice to see a pic of your mum in her heyday....bet she'll be tickled when you show her this.

Alex Daw said...

What a great story. And by the way, I love how telephoniste has an e on the end - I wish it still did today. It makes all the difference :)

Anne Young said...

How marvellous topi have a photo of your mother celebrating on that historic day.

Anne Young said...

How marvellous topi have a photo of your mother celebrating on that historic day.

Alona Tester said...

What an amazing connection to such an incredible event. Thankyou for sharing!

Lilian's Tree said...

Wonderful photo and a wonderful memory. Thanks for sharing.

Crissouli said...

So special to have such a photo... it really brings history to life. Great to have Johnathon thinking of you and suggesting a blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...